Alpha CPUs, was Re: [rescue] i860 Success

Andrew Weiss ajwdsp at cloud9.net
Mon May 3 15:07:19 CDT 2004

On May 3, 2004, at 1:36 PM, Charles Shannon Hendrix wrote:

>>> Old and crusty in the sense that it is a late 80s design, which in
>>> the
>>> CPU world, is ancient history.
>>
>> I guess you hadn't been keeping up on the Alpha development.  The EV7
>> is
>> in no way old, crusty, or a late '80s design.
>
> Old != bad.  Don't read something in "old and crusty" that isn't there.

Dude... Crusty == bad.

Sure Alpha EV7 is a 90's or 00's implementation of an 80's design

The P4 is a 00's implementation of a 70's design

Equal footing or worse for the P4/Xeon x86 family.

POWER is sooo much newer in both design and fab.  PPC and power are
early 90's design and current fab and implementation.

Andrew