[rescue] i860 Success

Eric Dittman dittman at dittman.net
Mon May 3 08:43:11 CDT 2004

> > > Old and crusty in the sense that it is a late 80s design, which in the
> > > CPU world, is ancient history.
> >
> > I guess you hadn't been keeping up on the Alpha development.  The EV7 is
> > in no way old, crusty, or a late '80s design.
>
> Actually EV7 is not such a hot design, I would not call it late '80's
> though. It was a neat architecture, but it just has not benefited from any
> process technology updates in ages.

Actually, the EV7 is a hot design.  It works, and works well, and is the result
of several technology updates, but then again it probably isn't talked about in
a textbook so you wouldn't know.

That's it.  There's too many half-informed people running around now on rescue.
They've read something in a magazine, on a search engine, or out of a textbook
and think that makes them an authority.  The result is the noise on rescue now
heavily outweighs the signal.

Like so many others lately, I am out of here.
--
Eric Dittman
dittman at dittman.net