[rescue] Odd Mac startup problem

Micah R L lassloc at hotpop.com
Sat May 1 14:47:41 CDT 2004

Micah R L wrote:

> If you have linux installed on the machine, you can use the following
> commands:
> nvsetenv input-device kbd
> nvsetenv output-device /chaos/control
>
> I think you can use the 'nvram' command from within OS X.
> From OS9, you can use the program bootvars, available here:
> http://www2.tw.netbsd.org/NetBSD/arch/macppc/macos-utils/bootvars/

Forgot to mention: the line that is "input-device kbd" I'm almost sure
is correct... it's standard across (I think) all of the Mac PPC OF
models, at least.

The other line, that says "output-device /chaos/control" came from this
page:
http://netbsd.org/Ports/macppc/models.html
If that doesn't work or something (for example, if you're running off
another video card), there's some OF voodoo (at least, I couldn't find
any docs on it and had to ask somebody "in the know") that you can do to
try and figure out what your video card is. I still have some of that
info on that lying around; I can look it up for you if ya need.