[rescue] Odd Mac startup problem

William G. Gruesbeck bgruesbeck at daysys.com
Sat May 1 13:47:19 CDT 2004

Phil Stracchino wrote:

>On Sat, May 01, 2004 at 02:06:39PM -0400, Phil Stracchino wrote:
>

>>On Sat, May 01, 2004 at 01:03:24PM -0500, Micah R L wrote:
>>

>>>I think if you get into open firmware and type
>>>setenv boot-command "begin ['] boot catch 1000 ms cr again"
>>>that will fix it. (I found that bit of advice on the
>>>linux-on-oldworld_powerpc documentation.)
>>>

>>Does a 7300 *have* OpenFirmware?
>>
>>Command-Option-O-F at boot, right?

Yes to both questions. And onthe old world macs the OpenFirmware
defaults to the serial port, there are two variables that you can set to
put output to the display and keyboard. However, for the life of me I
can't remember what they are. I had to set them a long time ago so I
could see what I was doing easily since I had a a crap serial cable.
Google should help here, especially if you search for linux as well
since I think there was either a slackintosh or yellow dog faw out there
that had all that information.

William G. Gruesbeck Jr.