[rescue] Re: Stress relief

James Rice jrice54 at vzavenue.net
Sat May 1 12:06:46 CDT 2004

How strange.  I left the electrical field for computers to get away from
all of the BS IBEW union work rules.  Computers are still fun.  I pimp
myself out all day dealing with clueless Wintel users ( my current job
pays too well to look for anything else)  and on my own time I play with
non-x86 machines.  In all serious, I kind of miss the old job -  not all
of the paper work or the taxes or the PITA employee's but the actual
work. Terminating 12000 connections in a control cabinet over three
months and not have a single one wrong, starting 4000hp motors for the
first time (having them not blow up), all of the noise and motion of a
high speed bottling line that stretches out three city blocks from empty
case and bottle to the palletizer.  It was lot of fun.

 If you think you will be getting away from computers, think again.
Unless you work very low end residential jobs, everything in the
electrical industry is tied to IT in some way of another.