[rescue] SGI, Origin 200, and speed?

Gerhard Lenerz mail at g-lenerz.de
Sat May 1 11:53:45 CDT 2004

Saturday, May 1, 2004, 5:39:27 PM, you wrote:

>> CrayLinks name got changed to NUMAlink after SGI got rid of Cray.
> The name makes more sense now too.

  There is a very interesting snipplet floating around in comp.arch or
  comp.sys.sgi in which one of the SGI guys explains how NUMAlink was
  called CrayLink after SGI had acquired Cray. The links now used in
  Origin 3000 are more based on Cray know-how than the CrayLink.

>> The other neat thing is that hardware-wise the Altix systems are
>> basically Origin 3000 systems with different CPUs.
> Didn't realize that.  If figured the Itanium would require a lot of
> different support.

  Enabling easy upgrades and changes in technology on the level of
  full bricks was one of the major goals in design.
  http://www.cwi.nl/~robertl/mash/numaflex
  Used to be a link to an article written by John Mashey and posted to
  usenet which also covers that. Currently it doesn't work for me, if
  it's really offline I'm sure I have a local copy somewhere that I
  can make available.

Gerhard