Workstations..was [rescue] Compaq Proliant 8000

Andrew Weiss ajwdsp at cloud9.net
Sat May 1 06:33:34 CDT 2004

On Apr 30, 2004, at 3:53 PM, Charles Shannon Hendrix wrote:

No metric.

I do think of the Apple as a workstation.

But in the thread I thought workstation == UNIX workstation.

While technically Mac OS X is a Unix-alike, it is basically a UNIX
workstation.  You have X11 if you need it, bsd userland, can compile
and run Linux programs as well as generic unix source.  You also get
so much more via Classic, Carbon, Cocoa, and if you need it Virtual
PC.

The processor is a 64 bit processor with a vector unit for serious
calculation power.  The big IO chip that handles the cross-bar and
allows 1Ghz bandwidth point to point for every component in the system
qualifies it alone as a workstation... nee a unix workstation.

I wasn't pointing out the Sun Blade 2xxx family as examples of cheap
workstations... I was saying the g5 is an affordable SunBlade 2xxx
competitor/workalike... the only thing missing is the native fiber
channel interface.  The G5 has gigE, PCI-X, SATA, Airport Extreme
(802.11g), capacity for 8GB of RAM, etc.

Andrew