[rescue] SSH, Security and the single SGI

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at verizon.net
Tue Mar 30 18:40:12 CST 2004

> From: Wes Will <wwill at siu.edu>
> Date: 2004/03/30 Tue PM 06:46:23 GMT
> To: The Rescue List <rescue at sunhelp.org>
> Subject: Re: [rescue] SSH, Security and the single SGI
>
> >So, if I enable tftp and a font server, Samba, and other
> > stuff on the Challenge, am I somehow lessening its security?

> Of course you are "lessening" it, but with careful attention
> on more than a random basis, the impact should be within an
> acceptable limit of risk.

Not arguing, but why?

The only port that gets through is SSH, anything else running can't be gotten
to, except through SSH, right?

If the port was wide-open on the internet, I can see the compromise, but if
the seperate firewall only lets SSH through...

Curious, and wanting to be educated...

Thanks,

Lionel
lionel 4287 at verizon net