[rescue] FrameMaker FYI

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Fri Mar 26 13:33:19 CST 2004

On Mar 26, 2004, at 2:02 PM, Scott Newell wrote:
>>   It actually goes further than that.  While I'm frequently a
>> sysadmin,
>> most of my computer-related work involves software and algorithm
>> development, and most of my electronics-related work involves the
>> design of circuitry.  Many people who do that kind of work do it
>> entirely mathematically, and convert to source code or schematics at
>> the very last instant...if at all.  These are the people whose messes
>> I'm frequently hired to clean up. ;)
>
> Skewed statistics?  If you only get called in to rescue borked
> projects,
> you probably don't see the many circuits and systems designed by highly
> educated people who do know what they're doing...because those work and
> don't need your help!

   That's very possible, of course...but I also find it convenient to
say "your information is skewed" whenever anyone says something I don't
agree with.

   But if you want to put it that way, everyone's statistics are skewed.
  We only see life from our own point of view.  I'm not willing to
ignore more than fifteen years of life experiences on the basis that
someone else thinks the work efforts of a typical
all-theory-all-the-time college kid are automatically going to be
"good" because he did it all with mathematics.

        -Dave