[rescue] FrameMaker FYI

Jonathan C. Patschke jp at celestrion.net
Fri Mar 26 13:28:32 CST 2004

On Fri, 26 Mar 2004, Sandwich Maker wrote:

> this is how their posix compliance pkg, sfu 3.0 with the interix 2.2
> unix app, works.

Correct.

However, it used to be how -Win32- was implemented on WindowsNT.  The
-only- API accessible by the kernel was the DDK API.

At some point along the way (Windows 2000, I believe), they moved the
Win32 subsystem into the Windows NT executive, thus making it possible
for bugs in Win32 applications that tickled bugs in the Win32 subsystem
to bring down the entire system.

> and it's supposed to be a whole lot more stable than win32...

Yup, because it's not sitting in kernelspace.

--
Jonathan Patschke  ) "Being on the Internet is not the same as being
Elgin, TX         (   famous.  That's like calling Cheetos 'dinner'."