Subject: Re: [rescue] SGI rackmount computer case.... what SGI ?

James Braid jamesb at loreland.org
Mon Mar 22 15:55:35 CST 2004

On 22/03/2004, at 6:46 PM, Earl D. Baugh Jr. wrote:
> Actually, I the fact that they've described it as an ACER board isn't
> a negative,
> it's actually a positive towards supporting that this is the SGI
> board.  Because
> I have an SGI board that is VERY close to this. (I've got a 320).

Yup, pretty much all of SGIs pure x86 line (i.e. SGI 1100/1200 etc)
used off the shelf Acer mobos.

> Thomas Gallaway wrote:
> >Those are actually not fake. These are real SGI machines. I've seen
> one
> >of those in a warehouse once where it came from SGI (in a SGI box).
> >Guess one of the reasons they did this cause they wanted to do the
> same
> >like companys rebadging SGI gear. SGI builds big powerfull machines,
> >then their PC's must be good too.

That case that the OP bought came from a production SGI system, it was
a node in the SGI "graphics cluster". Basically a whole lot of x86
boxes with Nvidia graphics cards joined up with a genlock type scheme
(it wasnt actually genlock) and each box rendered a part of an image.

There are some white papers and stuff on the SGI site, and pictures
too: http://www.sgi.com/products/legacy/vis_systems.html

It was kind of like how the Onyx4 works.

Cheers, James

[demime 1.01d removed an attachment of type application/pgp-signature which had a name of PGP.sig]