[rescue] power mac rescue

Kurt Huhn kurt at k-huhn.com
Mon Mar 22 15:24:28 CST 2004

On Mon, 22 Mar 2004 15:41:43 -0500
Steve Sandau wrote:

> One other neat discovery... In the 'root' of the hard drive is a file
> entitled "About Your Power Macintosh G3." Does that mean this'll run
> OSX? (Or maybe OpenDarwin?) Comments? Anyone know how to view the CPU
> specs?

All 8500s came with a PPC 604e.  Yours is a 180Mhz (8500/180).

In order to run OS X you'll need xpostfacto (look on macsales.com, free
download) and you'll want an upgrade card to G3 or G4.  If you grab an
"About this mac" from the Apple menu (upper left) you should get a lot
of useful info.

--
Kurt                 "I believe that pipe smoking contributes to a
kurt at k-huhn.com       somewhat calm and objective judgement in all