[rescue] power mac rescue

William Enestvedt William.Enestvedt at jwu.edu
Mon Mar 22 14:57:12 CST 2004

> One other neat discovery... In the 'root' of the hard drive is a file
> entitled "About Your Power Macintosh G3." Does that mean this'll run
> OSX? (Or maybe OpenDarwin?) Comments?

   Actually, it probably means that someon used the install disk from
their G3, since this thing shipped with System 7.5.something. :7) OK,
OK, their could have been a G3 card in there, too. Have you looked
through www.xlr8yourmac.com for all their reports of upgrades?
   Anyway, as someone else mentioned, Yellow Dog Linux ought to run
great on this system, or NetBSD.

> Anyone know how to view the CPU specs?

   What's it running? Can you find the Apple System Profiler in the
Utilities folder?

> Also 160M of RAM, 2G internal drive (which seems to work now)
> and a 9G external disk, too.

   Nice haul.

> Also 100M Zip drive (no carts, tho).

   I have some Mac Zips. Hey, what're you going to do with it? I have an
external SCSI Jaz drive (and 5 or 6 2 GB carts) I've been looking to
trade....
-wde
--
Will Enestvedt