Subject: Re: [rescue] SGI rackmount computer case.... what SGI ?

Earl D. Baugh Jr. earl at baugh.org
Mon Mar 22 00:46:02 CST 2004

Actually, I the fact that they've described it as an ACER board isn't a
negative,
it's actually a positive towards supporting that this is the SGI
board.  Because
I have an SGI board that is VERY close to this. (I've got a 320).

And when I got it, I went Googling for doc's on the jumpers, etc on
it.  From the tags and id's on
the board, I found out that the SGI board for the 320's is at least a
derivative  of one that ACER built.
Dunno if  ACER built it for SGI (or remanufactured it for them..or
what)  But the doc's are like 98% identical.
There does seem to be some small differences, which from what I recall
described more capabilities in the SGI board than
the standard ACER one.    But I know for a fact that the graphics card
there is the stock version that SGI shipped.

I'll have to post a picture of my board so you can see the similarities
......I'd love to get one of those cards
and a case like that.....I love the motherboard...wish I had bought the
other one the guy had at the computer
show....he had two, I bought one.    I just put dual PIII 866's in it, and
it cranks.  BTW, there is one weirdness that I
discovered.  If you use a standard PCI video card, or even a "basic" AGP
card, you can't get into the BIOS screens.
It needs at least 32MB....the first two AGP cards I had in it wouldn't let
me in.   I actually only just got into the BIOS this
past week when I put in the new processors and decided to put in a video
card I had when I had the case open (on a lark).

Wasn't sure exactly what version of SCSI it supported, none of the SCSI
drives I had in the pile seemed to work it was as if the
SCSI wasn't initializing....but I couldn't get into the BIOS to see what it
was set up as....and I wasn't sure what "flavor" of SCSI
the bus was...now that I know it can support LVD drives,I'll have to
re-check the pile.   It should work better, since now that I actually
turned ON the SCSI bus....another reason I'm glad I can get into the BIOS
now....

Would love to get more/better storage on it. I wish I had the
case...Curtis, let me know if you decide to part with
it...I've got the board for it...now that I know what the case probably was
like.

I see one with dual 1Ghz processors, I may go get a pair of them.....it
only said in the doc's that it "supported up to 850's"
and that it should support "future" CPU's...Anybody tried something faster
than 866's in a 320?

Earl