[rescue] HP 700/rx monitor

Steve Sandau ssandau at gwi.net
Sun Mar 21 08:18:05 CST 2004

> Heh.  Mine doesn't boot.
>
> Actually, the 700/rx boots, downloads its code, and presents a grey screen,
> but that's all.
>
> I have it set to directly connect to my Sun LX (Solaris 7) and this used to
> work, three years ago.  Doubtless I've turned something off on the Sun the
> 700/rx needs, but what?

Well, it appears that this one downloads code (kernel?) and the screen
goes blank for about 15 seconds. I think it's trying to find its server
for tftp and nfs, because when the screen comes back a bunch of tftp and
nfs messages fly by.

nmap on my Sun tells me these ports are open on the HP server:

21/tcp     open        ftp
23/tcp     open        telnet
111/tcp    open        sunrpc
113/tcp    open        auth
135/tcp    open        loc-srv
512/tcp    open        exec
513/tcp    open        login
514/tcp    open        shell
820/tcp    open        unknown
838/tcp    open        unknown
842/tcp    open        unknown
846/tcp    open        unknown
851/tcp    open        unknown
854/tcp    open        unknown
6000/tcp   open        X11
6111/tcp   open        spc
6112/tcp   open        dtspc
7000/tcp   open        afs3-fileserver

Looking at a tcpdump of the boot process:
Get kernel with tftp, "handshake" on port 69, the transfer on high port.
Grab default.cfg from server via tftp.
Looks for a file named modules.ld or hostname.modules.ld, also tftp.
Then popupd, rgb.txt, hosts file, fonts.dir, fonts.alias.
Lots of packets for the rgb.txt and fonts files.
After that it starts an X11 session.
There's also some afs3-fileserver exchange.
After that, it's off arnd running.

I don't know if this helps much, because I obviously don't *really*
understand all that is happening here. I think Iused some pre-packaged
setup on the HP host, but it was a while back.

If you really do want to make it go, I can send you the tcpdump record
of the boot process and/or a tcpdump record of the boot process when
there are two hosts involved: one for the kernel download and second one
for the X session.

Steve