[rescue] Re: Help IDing Old Drive

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at verizon.net
Sat Mar 20 14:22:45 CST 2004

On Fri, 2004-03-19 at 23:45, Jeff Cole wrote:

> Do you produce any of your own electricity? My in-laws in San Diego have
> a couple solar panels on top of their house, and it offsets their
> electric bills by a few dollars here and there, and I think PG&E gives
> them some sort of credit for it as well.

The laws are such that the Utilities are required to buy any "surplus"
energy put back onto the "grid" by consumers at a mandated rate - this
was designed to foster adoption of alternate power sources for domestic
(home) use.

PG&E has no choice but to buy the power, IIRC.

OT: Growing up in CA in mid-70's, I watched a documentary film from PG&E
showing how they ran high tension wires across a mountain range - the
amazing thing was, it swoed the work men just *literally* blowing-up
these trees to clear a path across the mountain side.

Didn't strike any of us as "Environmentally Friendly" - but it was very
effective, with the same net result.