[rescue] Re: Help IDing Old Drive

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Fri Mar 19 23:15:48 CST 2004

On Mar 19, 2004, at 10:25 PM, Bob Keyes wrote:
>>> Many parts of the country refuse to throw away machines that still
>>> satisfactorily fill a function.
>>
>>    WHAT A CONCEPT!!!       [head explodes]
>
> Sometimes it just comes down to how much space you have.
>
> Places with a lot of money, a lot of tech, but not much storage space
> have
> to clean closets quicker than places where storage is cheap. So crowded
> techies rich cities like sf, boston, nyc, london will have more stuff
> on
> the curb. But having lived in the first three, I can say that nothing
> beats Boston.
>
> Here, the best time and place to go trash picking is Beacon
> Hill, and on the first trash day after the first of september. This is
> University town (THE University town) and therefore most leases
> start/end
> on the school year (even for non-students). MIT is good because of the
> two
> factors, but the campus police are complete jerks so you have to be
> careful and have an MIT student to vouch for you.

   I think the issue is taking a machine out of use simply because
someone wants to sell you a newer machine.  As an old friend used to
tell me, "upgrading for the sake of upgrading is bogus".  If the old
Pr1me system James mentioned is still working, and doing everything it
needs to do, why change?

   Some newer things are better...but newer things aren't better simply
by virtue of being newer.

           -Dave