[rescue] Re: Help IDing Old Drive

Phil Stracchino alaric at caerllewys.net
Fri Mar 19 23:40:50 CST 2004

On Sat, Mar 20, 2004 at 12:22:21AM -0500, Dave McGuire wrote:
>   PCs aren't reliable in production; this is a well-known fact...

We've had this discussion before.  Commodity consumer PCs built from
no-name parts sourced from the lowest bidder tend not to be reliable in
production, or in any other use.  PCs built using high-quality premium
components from reputable manufacturers, and properly protected as you
would a "real" machine (filtered power, clean environment, etc) can be
reliable in production, and $40k Unix workstations can be as unreliable
as $400 commodity PCs if someone cut corners on a component.

(I'm thinking real-world examples here....  like a PC I had built to my
specs that ran for five years in production without a day's downtime
providing mail, DNS, NFS, SAMBA and web services for an entire company,
vs. an Axil database server that lost six disks in fifteen months
because the VAR sold it to us with the RAID box filled with goddamn
POS Conners.  Axil eventually did right by us and swapped out the
entire array for Seagate Barracudas, and ONLY THEN did it become a
reliable machine.)

 :  alaric at caerllewys.net|phil-stracchino at earthlink.net|phil at novylen.net  :