[rescue] RESCUE: misc DEC stuff, some questions

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Fri Mar 19 13:50:32 CST 2004

Friend of mine bought a couple of rooms full of old servers and stuff to
resale, giveaway, and destroy.  It was at a company where we both had
worked in the past, so we knew the stuff.

I rescued the following items to bring home:

* DEC Alphaserver 400 4/233
* DEClaser 3500
* 5-port 10/100, full duplex ethernet switch
* BA35 3-bay pizza-box drive bay
* "like new" DEC vt520 terminal, 4 session version

Some questions:

The DEClaser has 47K pages logged, but prints beautifully.  However, the
printout fades a bit on the right margin.  Is this just a toner cartdige
that needs to be replaced, or the fuser?  The manual is little help in
determining this.  It happened to me with an HP laserjet, and it fixed
by replacing the fuser.

This thing uses Apple Laserwriter cartridges but I don't know and can't
find out so far about the fuser kit.

I have lost the key for the Alphaserver 400.  It's number 03.  Any ideas
on how to open the case without hurting the key?  Anyone know where
these keys can be found?  I have 04 30 27 and some others in my key box.
30 *almost* works.

--
shannon "AT" widomaker.com -- ["Work for something because it is good, not
just because it stands a chance to succeed." -- Vaclav Havel]