[rescue] Suggestions for vendor of external 5" FireWire case

William Enestvedt William.Enestvedt at jwu.edu
Fri Mar 19 13:06:56 CST 2004

Nadine wrote:

> My point in suggesting getting the FW800 was that which will you
> use longer, the drive case or the drive?  The DVD burner will probably
> become obsolete before the drive case will.

   Sure, but it'll be a few years before I buy _anything_ new for the
computer -- and with luck, it'll be a forklift upgrade.
   I'm trying to get rid of my old 840AV & PB1400 now that I have the
iMac. (They'll most likely get binned, sadly: I can't be bothered to
boot 'em up and clean off their drives. A friend wants the 1400, but
only if he can run Linux on it. And since I lack the CD-ROM drive, I
need to use the cable & an external drive: ugh.)

> As for mentioning Oxford bridges, the "cheap" cases often don't list
> the bridge manufacturer.

   True, true.

> ...but at least under OS 9, some non-Oxford bridges required third
> party drivers.  I prefer to use something supported by the OS
directly.

   Point well taken.

> YMMV, these are just my preferences/biases/opinions.

   ...Which is exactly what I was looking for. :7)
-wde
--
Will Enestvedt
UNIX System Administrator