[rescue] somewhat OT: copying a complete HD to another one..

Jonathan C. Patschke jp at celestrion.net
Fri Mar 19 11:18:14 CST 2004

On Fri, 19 Mar 2004, Bill Bradford wrote:

> > You can ufsdump/restore between partitions and use stdin/stdout.

That assumes the drives contain a single UFS partition.

> Otherwise, I'd think "dd"ing slice 2 (on a solaris disk) to slice 2 on
> another disk would do the whole thing.

I don't know if that'll work.  I've only seen ufsdump grok ufs slices.
Slice 2 typically encompasses the volume header, swap slices, and probably
multiple ufs slices.

--
Jonathan Patschke  ) "Being on the Internet is not the same as being
Elgin, TX         (   famous.  That's like calling Cheetos 'dinner'."