[rescue] IRIX: SpaceMouse, SpaceBall, Tablet & Co.

Jochen Kunz jkunz at unixag-kl.fh-kl.de
Thu Mar 18 16:11:22 CST 2004

On Thu, 18 Mar 2004 14:50:43 -0500
Joshua Boyd <jdboyd at jdboyd.net> wrote:

> Spaceballs 2003 and 3003s should both work.  I don't know about the
> 4000s, and I doubt the 5000s work.
The 5000 is the current product and it is USB only...
I didn't find any infos on the 2003.
This seems to be a 3003:
http://www.mindflux.com.au/products/spacetec/3003flx.html
and the 4000:
http://www.mindflux.com.au/products/spacetec/4000flx.html

> The IBM model you mentioned is I think a 4000, and I don't know if
> they work on Irix.  Probably, but I wouldn't want to spend the money
> to be wrong.
That IBM thing is quite old. (introduced in 1993) Here is an ePay
auction with one:
http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2793178099
(Link in the auction text to more information.)

> As the name of the site indicates, it is about wacom tablets.  Don't
> bother trying to use any other sort of tablet.
Well. It is for playing only. I don't intend to really use it. The
calcomp tablets seem to be much cheaper. (No buzzword brand name...)

> Basically, any vaguely modern serial wacom should work. I recommend
> something like an Artz II 6x8 (part number UD-0608, I think) as being
> best bang for buck, but anything from that line should work fine.
OK. Artz is a good word to drop into the ePay search engine. ;-)

> I thought that it was just the Intuos2s and Graphires that didn't
> work, but to be on the safe side, don't go for an Intuos.
OK: wacom* -Intuos* -Graphires*

> I don't know what to recommend for the space ball off the top of my
> head.  Perhaps VTK would support them?  Perhaps you have a copy of
> Iris Explorer, and perhaps it supports them?  I don't know.
I think I will dig into this when I have a SpaceBall that works with the
confidence tests.
--

tsch|_,
       Jochen