HP 715, Nextstep, & CD-ROM drives.(Was [rescue] HP 715 ROMS?)

Geoffrey S. Mendelson gsm at mendelson.com
Thu Mar 18 13:47:48 CST 2004

William Barnett-Lewis wrote:

> I had recently gotten my hands on a $1
> external AppleCD 300. That was a 2x drive that, according to the SunCD
> FAQ understands 512 blocks.

Not really true. The SUN ROMS when you type "boot cdrom", issue a SCSI-2
mode set command to change the drive to 512 byte sectors. Sony, and just
about every Toshiba one (all I've tried) do it. NEC and Matsushita do
not.

Note that Apple sold a CD-300+ that was made by Matsushita.

My guess is that the HP does not issue the proper command and you need a
real 512 byte block CDROM drive.

Geoff.
Geoffrey S. Mendelson gsm at mendelson.com
I've watched "The Passion". It's the worst version of MacBeth I've ever seen.