HP 715, Nextstep, & CD-ROM drives.(Was [rescue] HP 715 ROMS?)

William Barnett-Lewis wlewis at mailbag.com
Thu Mar 18 13:29:47 CST 2004

Just in case anyone is following my foibles and to get the info in a
google accessible location...

Sheesh. I was googling to find more about the ROM Checksum error I had
mentioned. Nada. But I did find a message about how 10.20 wouldn't load
on a 715 that had a 4x HP drive. Seems HP said the ROM only understands
2x drives. *HUH?* I say. Well, I had recently gotten my hands on a $1
external AppleCD 300. That was a 2x drive that, according to the SunCD
FAQ understands 512 blocks.

So I pull it from the Apple enclosure and pop it into the HP. boot
scsi.2 <return>. Up pops the Nextstep installer...

At the moment I'm getting a SCSI: request timeout error so I still am
going to need to wave a dead chicken over this beast to try and sort out
it's SCSI black magic, but at least now I know that the 2x drive is a
requirement for the 715 to boot from CD-ROM.

William
--
Live like you will never die, love like you've never been hurt, dance
like no-one is watching.