[rescue] What is this?

David L Kindred (Dave) d.kindred at telesciences.com
Thu Mar 18 12:46:54 CST 2004

    Francois> Joshua Boyd wrote:

    >> It is a rebadged SGI.  CDC is known to have such machines, as was
    >> Tandem.  I can't tell what it is any further than that though.

    Francois> I figured it was something like that. Why did people buy
    Francois> rebadged SGIs?

Some likely reasons:

Business: Because they had a corporate purchase agreement with the likes
          of CDC or Tandem?

Business: Because equipment from CDC or Tandem was covered under an
          existing support/maintenance agreement?

Loyalty: Because they knew and liked CDC or Tandem and didn't
         realize/care they were buying something made by anyone else?

Results: Because CDC or Tandem was supplying a turn-key solution of
         which the hardware was only a portion?

Perception: Because SGI makes "graphics" or "engineering" computers,
            while CDC or Tandem makes "business" computers?

--
David L. Kindred
Unix Systems & Network Administrator