[rescue] Is anyone running netalk on solaris 9 sparc?

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Sat Mar 13 23:21:26 CST 2004

On Mar 13, 2004, at 10:15 PM, James Jacocks wrote:
>>> Can you get GCC to produce a 64 bit module? Must I use sun's
>>> compiler?
>>>
>>> Is there anywhere I can get the module pre-compiled?
>> I seem to remember reading recently that a 64-bit gcc binary is
>> available now, but unfortunately I don't know where. Probably worth
> <snip>
>
> gcc 3.3.x builds 64bit code on Solaris quite nicely.  It can be gotten
> from your favorite SunFreeware mirror, or can be easily built by older
> gcc or Forte compilers.  It can even build kernel modules, so I
> recommend it without hesitation.

   One should bear in mind that, however, GCC's code generation for
SPARC (and indeed most RISC) processors leaves a lot to be desired.  If
you have access to Sun's compilers, they will produce much faster, and
in some cases smaller, binaries.

   Ordinarily I'd not mention it, but the difference is big enough to
make it well worthwhile.

         -Dave