[rescue] Re: Replacing battery on a Sun 3/60

Chris Powell Chris.Powell at zarlink.com
Wed Mar 10 02:39:12 CST 2004

On Tue, 2004-03-09 at 14:51, Per Sandstrom wrote:
> I'm trying to resurrect an old Sun 3/60 that has been sleeping for at
> least five years, perhaps ten. Looking at the CPU mainboard, I see a
> 3V lithium battery that more or less asks to be replaced.
>
> However, the Hardware Installation Manual for the 3/60 clearly states
> that "This battery is NOT a customer replaceable part". Why? Will it
> explode in my hands? What does it power? Is it only for the real time
> clock, or will I loose any settings in the IDPROM if a take the
> battery out?

Not customer replaceable as Sun would have preferred a $200 (or
whatever) service callout! As others have said, it's only for the
clock (so reset it when you next boot). I have never seen a Sun
3/60 (or other Sun with this RTC chip) with a soldered in lithium
cell, all are socketed as far as I'm aware.

ChrisP.