[rescue] Replacing battery on a Sun 3/60

Curtis H. Wilbar Jr. rescue at hawkmountain.net
Wed Mar 10 00:09:27 CST 2004

On Tue, 2004-03-09 at 14:51, Per Sandstrom wrote:
> I'm trying to resurrect an old Sun 3/60 that has been sleeping for at
> least five years, perhaps ten. Looking at the CPU mainboard, I see a
> 3V lithium battery that more or less asks to be replaced.
>
> However, the Hardware Installation Manual for the 3/60 clearly states
> that "This battery is NOT a customer replaceable part". Why? Will it
> explode in my hands? What does it power? Is it only for the real time
> clock, or will I loose any settings in the IDPROM if a take the
> battery out?

To the best of my knowledge it is just for the real time clock.  Sun
used an EEPROM for IDPROM settings in most of the old VME gear.  As for
user replacability... it may not be in a socket such that you can change
it... it may have spot welded "leads" on it and be soldered onto the
board.... but even so... if you have a solering iron I'd call it
"user replacable" :-).

-- Curt