[rescue] suitability for use question

William Enestvedt William.Enestvedt at jwu.edu
Mon Mar 8 08:42:00 CST 2004

Eric Webb wrote:

> So how do you guys listen to 10GB of MP3's in your car?  I
> really don't want to screw with a handheld device fed through
> a tape adapter.

   I realize that you also said, "I want an in-dash or trunk-mounted device
with a hard drive," but consider the extra portability of an Apple iPod. I use
mine in the car with a Griffin iTrip, the little pinky-sized FM tranmitter
that clips on top of an iPod.
   I love it inside the house, while in my Monster Minivan it's a little less
perfect. (I blame this on two factors: the inconsistent reception of local
commercial stations caused by the river-valley geography though which I
commute (causing me not to have yet found a good station to settle on), and
the location of my car's antenna (?).
   Oh, and I often forget to increase the volume, which is something you need
to do.
   That said, I love beiung able to listen to music while I walk to the car,
and then just pop on the iTrip after I turn the key. A drawback, to me, is
that the iTrip blocks the switch which locks the controls, so I often hit the
skip buttons once I have the iTrip plugged in. This is solved by unplugging
the iTrip briefly after it's working, but I'm a lazy git. :7)
   Just my two cents.
-wde
P.S. The cheesy casette-shaped tape adapter I sometimes use is far less sexy
than the iTrip, but it sounds world better if I can ignore the sound of the
capstans idly rotating.
--
Will Enestvedt
UNIX System Administrator