[rescue] suitability for use question

Dan Duncan dand at pcisys.net
Sun Mar 7 21:50:11 CST 2004

On Sat, 6 Mar 2004, Eric Webb wrote:
> So how do you guys listen to 10GB of MP3's in your car?  I really don't want
> to screw with a handheld device fed through a tape adapter.  I want an
> in-dash or trunk-mounted device with a hard drive.

I currently have a Sony trunk-mount changer that plays 10 MP3 cd's
and injects the audio signal onto my antenna input.  The audio
quality is slightly better than FM radio because the bandwidth
is slightly higher.  It's not quite 10GB, but it's over 6.  It
only cost about $200 new.  They make the same unit that connects
to a line input if you'd rather go that way.  If I could upgrade
the transport to a DVD-ROM drive, I'd do it.  I've had a
number of mp3 players in the car over the years, going back to my
first homebrew unit that used a 4-disc CDROM changer.  (So technically
I've only just more than doubled my capacity in 5 years)

I'm reluctant to put in anything more expensive because I don't want
to find it's been uninstalled along with my window like last time.
The current one feeds into the factory AM/FM. (No cassette, no CD)

I've sort of been toying with the idea of making a homebrew unit
again with mini-ITX boards and DVD-R technology so cheap.  Like
my original unit and my current home project, I'd probably include
FM-radio capability with tivo-like functionality to listen to
commercial-free versions of the shows that air when I'm not driving.
A slot-loading DVD-ROM in the dash and probably wifi would make
it real easy to install new tunes.

-DanD