[rescue] Tiny/cheap terminal server?

Dan Duncan dand at pcisys.net
Wed Mar 3 12:21:22 CST 2004

On Tue, 2 Mar 2004, Gregory Leblanc wrote:
> Anybody know of something that would work as a single port serial
> terminal server?  I'm living 300 miles from my stable internet
> connection at the moment, but I'd like to have some way to manage the
> server other than 'ssh', "just in case".  Calling friends/relatives who
> live up there to go plug in a laptop just isn't that cool.  Thanks,

I'm using DECSERVER 90-series for mine.  I gave away my 90M
(STUPID! STUPID!) and kept my 90TLs.  They have 8 ports,
speak SLIP, and will present a serial console as a telnettable
device on port XYZ.  For example, if I telnet to my terminal
server on port 3000, I get the console of the sparc on serial
port 3.  (which happens to be the sparc classic running netbsd)

I believe I have a spare 90TL if you want to go that route.  I
don't have the power supply (single +5V I believe) since I use mine
in a DECHUB 90 backplane.  I have a complete setup script for
the DECSERVER syntax if you're interested.  90TLs turn up on
ebay all the time for $20 or less.

-DanD

# Westheimer's Discovery:  A couple of months in the laboratory can
# frequently save a couple of hours in the library.
#