[rescue] SS5 mobo

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at verizon.net
Wed Mar 3 10:55:41 CST 2004

> From: Kevin Loch <kloch at gurunet.net>
> Date: 2004/03/03 Wed PM 04:25:30 GMT
> To: The Rescue List <rescue at sunhelp.org>
> Subject: Re: [rescue] SS5 mobo

> It's been a long time and I diddn't do any memory specific
> tests but I do remember only ftp transfers maxing out at
> 2.5-5 Megabytes/sec on a ss5-110 regardless of the network
> interface (even with localhost).
> Is the OS really that inefficient?

That may be the real limit on 10 Mb/sec Ethernet, esp. in a "real world" setting (not dedicated crossover connection between boxes)...

Wait, are your numbers bytes or bits? because 5 Megabytes would be 40 Megabits (or greater), and that would be fine given a 100 Mb/sec Fast Ethernet connection.

The network limited the connection speed, not the CPUs ability to feed the network...