[rescue] Tiny/cheap terminal server?

Eric Webb ttlchaos at randomc.com
Wed Mar 3 07:12:20 CST 2004

On Wednesday 03 March 2004 07:21 am, David A de Gruyl wrote:

> An alternate would be to put a modem on the serial console directly, but
> I don't know how well this works, and it requires software.

Why do you need software?

USR modems, anyway, let you force DTR, disable result codes and act in "dumb"
mode, so it's a cinch to set them up for this purpose.  Then, when someone
connects they pass right on to the console port and get a tty.  If you
disconnect without logging off, though, I suppose it may be possible to leave
a shell open for the next caller...

This works with RS/6000s pretty well.  The way I have it right now,
disconnecting mid-session results in login recycling.  I'm sure it would work
for Suns as well, unless they care about DTR (etc), but I think you can even
get around that.

-E.