[rescue] Tiny/cheap terminal server?

James james at jdfogg.com
Wed Mar 3 06:13:13 CST 2004

> Anybody know of something that would work as a single port serial
> terminal server?  I'm living 300 miles from my stable internet
> connection at the moment, but I'd like to have some way to manage the
> server other than 'ssh', "just in case".  Calling friends/relatives who
> live up there to go plug in a laptop just isn't that cool.  Thanks,
> 	Greg

Are you saying you want a gui desktop to be remotely available?
ssh is always your friend, but if you want a gui (assuming Xwindows?) you
could ssh in and then port-forward X11 and have your gui. Other than that,
there are some IP based KVM switches but they aint cheap.

If we are talking about a MS Windows server.... neverming, lets not talk
about MSWindows.