[rescue] RS/6000 250: LED 513 while booting AIX install CD?

Carl R. Friend crfriend at rcn.com
Tue Mar 2 19:52:28 CST 2004

   On Tue, 2 Mar 2004, Todd Carson wrote:

> I got AIX 5.1 install media today for the RS/6000 model 250 I posted
> about earlier.

   I may be way off base here, but I'd double-check to make absolutely
sure that AIX 5.1 is compatible with the 250.

   If I'm not mistaken, the 250 is quite closely related to the 220
which was "officially" desupported as of AIX 4.x (It'd run it, but
some bits were wonky).

> It boots okay from the installation CD until it reaches 513 on the
> LED, where is seems to hang indefinitely. There is never any output
> to either a monitor or a serial console. According to the list of LED
> numbers, it's supposed to be loading files from the install media at
> this point, but it will sit for well over half an hour with no CD-ROM
> or hard disk activity.

   A half-hour is a wee bit on the long side.  Have you tried doing
an install of an earlier version of AIX?  The alternative is to let
the thing go all night and see if there's any joy in the morning.

   Personally, I'd go for an AIX 4.x install just to see how it
runs.  But that's me.