[rescue] SS5 mobo

Janet L. Campbell janet at foonly.com
Tue Mar 2 15:58:14 CST 2004

On Tue, 2 Mar 2004, Kevin Loch wrote:

> Janet L. Campbell wrote:
> > This gave the SS4/SS5 the lowest memory latency of any
> > pre-Ultra.
>
> But it had woefully poor memory bandwidth, which saturated at
> 2.5-5 Megabytes/s depending on the wait state jumper setting.

Don't be silly, even my old 3/60 handily beat that without breaking a
sweat.  You're off by more than an order of magnitude, take a look at
STREAM and lmbench statistics.

Once upon a time I wrote code to do very large vector dot products, and my
first development system was a SS5/70.  It handily beat 50MB/s in memory
access rates in real world use with computation done as well.

-Janet