[rescue] A Question about Snap Servers

Jonathan C. Patschke jp at celestrion.net
Sat Jul 31 13:56:41 CDT 2004

On Sat, 31 Jul 2004, bitrot wrote:

> does anyone have a nice SIMPLE way of setting up raid 1
> on solaris 9.

1) Create a tiny (10MB or 20MB) slice (I'll call this an mslice) on
    each disk for the metadb and a big slice on each disk to hold your
    data (I'll call this a dslice).
2) Do metadb -a -f mslice1 mslice2 mslice3   # You really need three tiny
                                              # slices.
3) Then do metainit d1 1 1 dslice1
            metainit d2 1 1 dslice2

4) Then create the initial one-sided mirror:
            metainit d10 -m dslice1

5) Make your filesystem:
            newfs /dev/rdsk/d10

6) Initialize the other side of the mirror:
            metattach d10 d2

You can now mount/use your filesystem.  It'll be slow until the sync
finishes, but you're all set!  You can use metastat to check up on
things.

> i think disksuite or meta* is just a complete pile of shit compared
> to some other software raid solutions.

If you want $otherOS, you know where you find it.  Sun's LVM works just
fine for me.  Part of the reason that it's more complicated is that it's
more resistant to infrastructure failure.  With three or more copies of
the metadata, it's awfully hard for things to go south with a single
controller failure.

Or you can always buy a license for Veritas Volume Manager.

--
Jonathan Patschke )"We're Germans and we use Unix.  That's a combination
Elgin, TX        (  of two demographic groups known to have no sense of