[rescue] Re: [geeks] recommended dual channel LVD controller, PC

ghub005 ghub005 at xtra.co.nz
Sun Jul 25 05:03:59 CDT 2004

Eric wrote:

If I bought a 64-bit PCI card that didn't work in a 32-bit PCI slot I'd
still not want to use it in a 64-bit PCI slot.  Either the card is failing
and I wouldn't want further failure to cause me to lose data, or the card
wasn't designed properly and I wouldn't want any other design problems to
cause me to lose data.

In general[1] 64-bit Sun PCI cards simply don't work in Ultra 5/10 systems
(which have 32-bit PCI slots only). However I've always assumed it was due to
limitations of the Sun drivers.

Regards,

Gavin

[1] In truth, I've never been able to get any 64-bit card to work in a U5/10.