[rescue] PowerMac 9500/180MP Issues

pdowler paprslip at gwu.edu
Sat Jul 17 14:44:18 CDT 2004

Hi All,

Picked this machine up for free yesterday and it seems to be fighting
me a little.  According to the person I got it from it had been sitting
in a closet for several years.  When I first turned it on, the drives
spun up, no chime, no video.  Remembering a pervious thread here I
figured the battery might be dead (checking it on a meter later proved
it was indeed very dead).  Purchased a new battery and installed it.
Now, when I go to turn it on, the supply flicks on for less than a
second and then off again.  I tried poking the CUDA reset switch.
Still, it exhibits the same behavior.

Has anyone ever encountered this?  Can this thing be saved or is it
destined to become a big doorstop?

Pressly