[rescue] Elite3D Question

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Thu Jan 22 12:03:59 CST 2004

Mon, 19 Jan 2004 @ 23:29 -0500, Kevin Loch said:

> Yeah, Mozilla runs insanely fast on an AthlonXP 3000+, a crappy ide
> drive and a $100 video card.  Or maybe it's the FreeBSD :)

I can't believe how piggy browsers are.

Mozilla regularly goes over 100MB on my system, at which point I need to
stop it.

This is annoying because it takes awhile to return to the same context.

Why don't these things dump memory when they aren't using it?  What in
the hell are they doing that eats so much RAM?

Has anyone noticed that in the latest Mozilla builds no longer let you
specify how much cache RAM to use?

Of course, I'm playing with Dropline Gnome on Slackware lately, and
this thing is a horrid pig all its own.

Nautilus also likes to eat memory like there is no tomorrow, and there
are no configuration options to curb its appetite.

When it goes much over 42MB, it just gets too slow to wait for.

Luckily, it responds to a kill -HUP by restarting fairly sanely.

Gnome and KDE both are horribly bloated.  15 *megabytes* just to show
the current weather?  Jeez...