[rescue] Cluesticks (was Mounting and Dumping)

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Thu Jan 22 11:21:20 CST 2004

Tue, 20 Jan 2004 @ 15:48 -0600, nimitz at ns1.nimitzbrood.com said:

> 1) Not enough is being done to properly diagnose learning
> disabilities. There is a real tendency to over-medicate or even
> medicate unecessarily when an LD is found.

Kind of like ADDs.  That whole thing would be funny if it were not so
serious.

I can't remember a single child in my life who hasn't had it, unless
they had some sickness which prevented it.

It is damned scary when you take a look at how many kids are medicated
for what is a perfectly natural phenomenon.

For that matter, most interesting and intelligent adults I know have at
least minor ADDs... :)

How many of you on this list are finishing compiles and fixing shell
scripts in between replies to this mailing list?

Yeah, I know, that new server "needs" your attention and whoops...
damned bug in foo.c needs to be fixed... as soon as I finish tweaking my
.exrc file... generated by this Perl script which needs to be changed
on line 113... I wonder if I should practice using Emacs for this
edit?  Need to install a new XEmacs... ah, compile done... gotta make a
package... oh, lemme finish this email first...

Sigh... so much stuff to hack, so few hours and hands... :)

> 2) There is not enough being done to remove the social stigma of LDs.
> The old "retard" slur is still alive and kicking.

Maybe, but at the same time removal in today's mindset often means
pretending it doesn't exist, which is equally stupid to me.

> 3) There is not enough being done to place kids in the educational
> programs where their gifts are nurtured versus the cookie-cutter set
> of educational "requirements".

It would be "unfair" to let them rise above anyone else!  :)