[rescue] Mounting and Dumping

Jochen Kunz jkunz at unixag-kl.fh-kl.de
Wed Jan 14 03:15:48 CST 2004

On Tue, 13 Jan 2004 19:27:55 -0500
"Sheldon T. Hall" <shel at cmhcsys.com> wrote:

> In running a test, it sounded like the Classic wasn't keeping up with
> the DLT drive.
I used a 15/30 DLT on a 500 MHz Alpha with a single 18 GB disk and the
DLT was faster then the disk. The problem is lots of small files = lots
of metadata work. I had to turn off hardware compression to make the
tape stream.

> Would putting the DLT on the the SunSwift card's SCSI bus help that?
I think the system disk and possibly the CPU are to slow. My Octane R12k
300MHz with newer and faster 18 GB disks can keep the DLT streaming most
of the time.
--

tsch|_,
       Jochen