[rescue] Was IRIX 6.5.20f disks no Maya and 3D software

Joshua Boyd jdboyd at jdboyd.net
Sat Feb 28 12:01:57 CST 2004

On Sat, Feb 28, 2004 at 11:59:56AM -0600, James Rice wrote:
> Since when has Maya for Irix been dropped?  The alias website still
> lists Maya for Irix.  I agree on the waaaay too expensive.
>
> http://www.alias.com/eng/products-services/maya/index.shtml

Remeber how 3DS Max, Lightwave, and Electric Image were considered the
affordable programs for the serious hobbiest or budget professional?
Now Maya is cheaper than any of them.  Sure, Maya Unlimited is quite
pricey, but it contains stuff that you don't get bundled with any other
program (except Subdivs, grr, but thankfully Wings is free), and Maya
Complete is cheaper than the above mentioned programs.  Granted, it
isn't as cheap as Truespace or Martin Hash, but it far superior to any
of those sorts of programs (don't get me wrong, Hash is great for the
person on a budget, but it does have severe limits, or at least it used
to as recently as 3 or so years ago, and I haven't heard reports of
those being fixed).

Maya is certainly far, far cheaper than what is considered it's direct
competitors of Softimage XSI and Houdini Master.

Sigh.  If I could just convince my wife it is nescesary for skill
development.   Maybe someday.  I'd rather work on convincing her we need
a nice Mac, disk array, uncompressed video IO card, VCR, and camera
first.