[rescue] SS4 VSIMM?

William Barnett-Lewis wlewis at mailbag.com
Fri Feb 27 20:19:17 CST 2004

Anyone have one they'll let go of cheap? Cheap ram sticks would also be
cool. I had one of those weird rescue days. I had no intention of going
to UW surplus today but had a friend who wanted me to check for
something for him. Nada for his stuff but I had a field day.

First up was a SS4/70 with cdrom, 48mb, and, while no drives, all
brackets present. Really clean - it looks unused except that one of the
cover screws is missing. $4. IIRC this is one of the Sparcs that will do
NextStep - I've got a good friend who is, alas, still addicted to
windog, perhaps this will help.

Then, next to it, is a pile of external scsi cdroms. I found a AppleCD
300 (that the CD FAQ says will do 512k blocks) for $1. But the real win
was yet to come.

They had a Microtek Scanmaster 4 there. The slide holder had come loose
and jammed the mechanism. Since a couple of customers had whined, they
were just going to chuck it. I offered to simply "take it away". In the
car, the top glass comes off in 2 seconds flat and the slide panel comes
out. Find the right cables and a terminator. Plug into the wife's Beige
G3 and it fires right up. Out of curiosity, I checked and the only one
of that model that I could find on ebay is $79 currently... I love that
surplus shop.

Heck of a day for a Lincoln and some time.

William
--
Live like you will never die, love like you've never been hurt, dance
like no-one is watching.