[rescue] DIY-blade?

Patrick Finnegan pat at computer-refuge.org
Thu Feb 26 17:56:23 CST 2004

On Thursday 26 February 2004 17:20, Lionel Peterson wrote:
> And someone on the list wrote about taking SS/5 MBs and sliding a
> number of them into a chassis to some end, not sure if it was real or
> planned...

It was real... a friend of mine had parts of it running at some time.
He's trying and failing to find pictures of it.  We wanted to try the
same thing with Ultra 5's at work, but other people didn't seem to like
that idea for some reason ;).

BTW, the thing's name is SPASM, or Sparc PASM (the U5 one would have
been USPASM, an even more fun name).

For those of you unfamilar, PASM was a SIMD/MIMD research computer
designed and built at Purdue using 68000 and 68010 VME boards and quite
a few custom designed boards - of which I've collected a few, along
with the "name tag" rack panel that says "PASM-1" on it.

Pat
--
Purdue University ITAP/RCS        ---  http://www.itap.purdue.edu/rcs/
The Computer Refuge               ---  http://computer-refuge.org