[rescue] PC Cases

Phil Stracchino alaric at caerllewys.net
Wed Feb 25 08:57:07 CST 2004

On Wed, Feb 25, 2004 at 09:36:38AM -0500, Kevin wrote:
> On Wed, 25 Feb 2004 06:41:17 -0600 (CST)
> zach at zachlowry.net wrote:
> > So, the question is, what do you guys put your PCs in?

My livingroom!  [:rimshot:]

Seriously: I have a number of hand-me-down cases still in service, but
aoo of the most recent cases I've bought have been Antec.  I've recently
learned that the big Antec tower case I particularly like is actually
OEM'd for them by an outfit called Chieftain, who also make cases for
Alienware, and from whom the exact same case can be purchased direct for
about 20% less than Antec wants for it.

> I don't build many PC anymore but when i did i always used
> California PC Products.  A bit on the pricey side, but made of
> steel (no vibrating aluminum noise) and will live forever.  I've
> used both their rack mount and tower cases, both are recommended.
> They also make good power supplies.

Antec makes (or resells) excellent power supplies that are bright enough
to detect a short on the load side and shut off power before magic smoke
escapes.

Personally, I've been avoiding aluminum cases; most of the ones I've
looked at don't bother to use steel thread inserts for things like case
screws, and threads in sheet aluminum strip out horrifyingly easily.  In
that context, one of the features I like about the big Antec/Chieftain
case is that once the machine's assembled, you virtually never need
touch it with a screwdriver again.  Drive bays are removable and latch
into place, fans and drive rails snap in, the side door has a locking
latch and a pinless hinge....

 : alaric at caerllewys.net|alaric-ruthven at earthlink.net|alaric at novylen.net  :