[rescue] Serial console on IBM RS/6000 250?

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Mon Feb 23 02:07:29 CST 2004

On Feb 22, 2004, at 6:47 PM, Carl R. Friend wrote:
>> The key for my 11/750 has "DO NOT DUPLICATE" stamped on the tang,
>> with a
>> serial number on the back. It's type "Ace (C)" by Chicago Lock
>> Company.
>> I've always wondered if a locksmith would honour the key and i'd have
>> go to a really shady backstreet dealer to have a copy done..!
>
>    Yes, but that's the same lame XX2247 that fits *every* DEC system
> from the early PDP-8s right up until they stopped using real locks
> on the systems.
>
>    I carry an XX2247 on my keychain -- and an XX2065 (that one fits
> Data General systems) -- "just in case".  (One never knows when one
> will have to rescue a system.)

   I too carry an XX2247 on my key ring, mainly for luck. :)  I'm not a
DG person, though (mainly due to lack of DG hardware, sniff) so I don't
have an XX2065.

   Many moons ago, I was once told that carrying an XX2247 on your
keyring was the same mark of "serious business" as carrying a
DrumWorkshop drum tuning key was in that context. :)

   I carry both. :)

         -Dave

Cape Coral, FL                   feels a little better."     -Ed