[rescue] Serial console on IBM RS/6000 250?

Jonathan C. Patschke jp at celestrion.net
Sun Feb 22 12:48:42 CST 2004

On Sun, 22 Feb 2004, Todd Carson wrote:

> Yeah, I was afraid of that. I don't have an IBM CD-ROM; my only
> external CD-ROM drives are a Sun (Sony) and a Panasonic.

That'll be a problem, then, if you want to boot from CD.

> Do they use bootp/tftp to netboot (or something else that could be
> set up on Solaris/HP-UX/*BSD), or is it a completely proprietary
> protocol?

I'm pretty sure it's bootp + something wholly proprietary.  I haven't
yet found a good technical article about what goes on during RIPL.

--
Jonathan Patschke  ) "Being on the Internet is not the same as being
Elgin, TX         (   famous.  That's like calling Cheetos 'dinner'."