[Rescue] Any HP/Nextstep PA gurus about?

Skeezics Boondoggle skeezics at q7.com
Sat Feb 21 20:01:32 CST 2004

On Sat, 21 Feb 2004, Francisco Javier Mesa-Martinez wrote:

> On Sat, 21 Feb 2004, Andrew Weiss wrote:
> >
> > I don't think I'll ever bother with NS on PA since 4.2 doesn't run on
> > PA.  The other thing is all the software I have only installs for
> > Sparc, Intel, or NeXT hardware... no mention of pa-risc anywhere.
>
> As far as I have seen in the net, there was 4.2 for PA but not for
> Sparc.

Actually, that's exactly backwards; Andrew had it right.  NS3.3 was the
end of the line for HPPA;  OpenStep never happened there. It's possible
that PDO for HP-UX continued after the native NeXTSTEP/Mach port was
canned, but I'm not sure.

One of these days I swear I'm going to put together my 725/100 and try it
out... :-)  (I've got a 725 and a 755, each with Fore ATM and Parallax
video cards... NS won't support either of those, so I've been thinking
maybe of scrounging up some external disks and dual booting...)

With the recent rescue of a Canon object.station 41 I can finally build
quad-fat binaries for 3.3 - Turbo Color + ND Cubes, SS4, HP725, and the
Canon - I just need some desk space!  For me it's been "time to move" for
a long time... Sigh.

-- Chris