[RESCUE] Any HP/Nextstep PA gurus about?

Andrew Weiss ajwdsp at cloud9.net
Sat Feb 21 18:13:12 CST 2004

On Feb 20, 2004, at 5:14 PM, Paul Weissmann wrote:

> Probably bad ISO-image or CD-R.

My CDR's were bad'ish... too old for the NeXT to read on any of the
three CD-ROM drives I tried, but luckily my Powermac was able to create
ISO's of them 6 months ago because re-burned to black CDR's (disks I've
had luck with even in the oldest CD-ROM drives) they worked fine for
installing OPENSTEP 4.2 on black hardware.  I finally settled on the
CD-ROM that actually worked for the install ... an old NEC 1630.  I
just chucked it in a 411 case in place of the Sun 1X caddy loader and
away I went... though the jumper switch doesn't work right.  (I just
hard jumpered the thing at ID 6).

For my Cube I required a boot floppy from NS 3.3.  I just rawrite'ed it
from Apple's site (the moto image), and then bfd'ed with the CD in the
drive.

I don't think I'll ever bother with NS on PA since 4.2 doesn't run on
PA.  The other thing is all the software I have only installs for
Sparc, Intel, or NeXT hardware... no mention of pa-risc anywhere.

Andrew